Flats and Handwashing Challenge Starts Now!

FlatsChallenge


Good morning everyone! Welcome to the Flats and Handwashing Challenge started by Kim from Dirty Diaper Laundry. There has been a lot of buzz genereated by this article of families reusing disposable diapers because of the high cost. Families shouldn't have to choose between diapering their children and eating! I want you to know there is an alternative. Cloth diapers! And not just any cloth diapers...FLATS!

Flats are an excellent and inexpensive way to cloth diaper. The great things about flats is that they are truly one size fits all. The fit is all in how you fold them. Before this challenge, I didn't really understand what flat cloth diapers were. Flats are just one big piece of cotton, usually in the shape of a square or rectangle, that can be folded in different ways to form a diaper. They can either be pinned or snappied closed. You can also use the "pad" fold and lay them in covers.
The most common fabric they are made out of is birdseye cotton. You can find some that are a cotton/hemp blend.

I should mention that I'm going to do this challenge with Charlotte and James. We'll see how it works. Per the Rules over at Dirty Diaper Laundry, participants can use 5 diaper covers per child. So we will be using what we have around the house.



Above is a picture of what I'll be using:
Cost of Cloth:
  • 12 Flats: $17.95
  • 10 Muslin blankets: $21.65
  • 2 Snappis: $8.00
  • Covers Shown: $40.00 (I either bought the overs on super sale or they were given to me).
  • Total: $87.60
I'll also be using a Mother Ease Diaper Pail and various cloth wipes.
P.S. I picked up the Koala Kuddles blankets on a tip from a fellow Dirty Diaper Laundry Facebook follower. They are closing their store so all blankets are only $2.00! Plus, they are local to me, so I didn't have to pay shipping!

Seriously, under $90.00 to cloth diaper TWO kids! It would cost that much to diaper one baby for a month with disposables.

I've had the kids in Flats this morning with no glitches! Plus they look super cute!


Charlotte in a Koala Kuddles blanket-turned flat.


With a cover over same flat.


I'd like to thank Diaper Junction for making this challenge possible!


Are you participating in the challenge? How is your day going so far?
Look for tomorrows post about how our first time handwashing diapers went!

0 comments: